Thank you for visiting my academic page!
I am an Associate Professor of Management at San Francisco State University. My Research examines the interactions between organizations and their stakeholders that shape the value of organizational actions and outcomes. I am interested in the processes of emergence and accumulation of organizational resources, such as reputation and legitimacy, which take place at the interface between institutions, organizations and their stakeholders. My favorite research contexts are new and emerging markets, such as information technologies and clean energy.
My research has been awarded the “SO!WHAT 2012 Award for Scholarly Contribution” for the best article published in Strategic Organization in 2007, Western Academy of Management “Ascendant Scholar 2011” Award, the Western Academy of Management “Best Paper” Award for 2011, and the Academy of Management 2007 Heizer (Best Dissertation) Award for outstanding research in the field of new enterprise development. I also received the Academy of Management Award for Best Symposium in Management Education and Development in 2011. I have published articles in the Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Strategic Organization, Journal of Management, Corporate Reputation Review, and International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal.
- Petkova, A. P., Wadhwa, A., Yao, X. & Jain, S. 2013. Reputation and Decision Making Under Ambiguity: A Study of U.S. Venture Capital Firms’ Investments in the Clean Energy Sector. Academy of Management Journal. In press.
- Wadhwa, A., Yao, X., & Petkova, A. 2013. The Effect of Uncertainty on Venture Capitalists’ Investment Trajectories in the Clean Energy Sector. Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 33.
- Petkova, A. P., Rindova, V. P., & Gupta, A. K. 2012. No News Is Bad News: Sensegiving Activities, Media Attention, and Venture Capital Funding of New Technology Organizations. Organization Science, 24(3): 865-888.
- Petkova, A. P. 2012. From the Ground Up: Building Young Firms’ Reputations. In M. L. Barnett and T. G. Pollock (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Reputation (pp. 383-401). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Rindova, V. P., Williamson, I. O., & Petkova, A. P. 2010. Reputation as an Intangible Asset: Reflections on Theory and Methods in Two Empirical Studies of Business School Reputations. Journal of Management, 36(3): 610-619.
- Petkova, A. P. 2009. A Theory of Entrepreneurial Learning from Performance Errors. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 5(4): 345-367. Lead article!
- Petkova, A. P., Rindova, V. P., & Gupta, A. K. 2008. How Can New Ventures Build Reputation? An Exploratory Study. Corporate Reputation Review, 11(4): 320-334.
- Rindova, V. P., & Petkova, A. P. 2007. When is a New Thing a Good Thing? Technological Change, Product Form Design and Perceptions of Value for Product Innovations. Organization Science, 18 (2): 217-232.
- Rindova, V. P., Petkova, A. P., & Kotha, S. 2007. Standing Out: How New Firms In Emerging Markets Build Reputation In the Media. Strategic Organization, 5(1): 31-70. Winner of the Strategic Organization “SO!WHAT 2012 Award for Scholarly Contribution” for the best article published in 2007!
- Rindova, V. P., Williamson, I. O., Petkova, A. P., & Sever, J. M. 2005. Being Good or Being Known: An Empirical Examination of the Dimensions, Antecedents, and Consequences of Organizational Reputation. Academy of Management Journal, 48(6): 1033-1049.